BY Michelle Garcia
August 25 2009 3:30 PM ET
Sally Kern, the Oklahoma state legislator who was famously caught on tape spouting homophobic messages and comparing gays to terrorists, may face her philosophical opposite at the ballot box in 2010.
Brittany Novotny, a transgender attorney in Oklahoma City, is reportedly raising funds for a possible campaign against Kern, according to Gossip Boy. Novotny is a member of the Young Democrats of Oklahoma and is an LGBT Caucus National Committee representative. She started practicing law in 2007 at her private firm, specializing in civil rights and employment law.
Kern defeated Democrat Ronald Wasson for her state house seat in 2004 by a two-to-one margin. She ran unopposed in 2006, and won with 58% of the vote in 2008 against Democrat Ron Marlett.
Novotny's official campaign announcement is expected in October.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media