BY Chris Jai Centeno
August 26 2009 5:05 PM ET
Doug Murphy, co-owner of the popular San Francisco bars Moby Dick and Blackbird, passed away last Friday after contracting the H1N1 virus -- a.k.a. swine flu -- during a trip to Palm Springs earlier this month.
His business partner Shawn Vergara paid tribute to the 41-year-old Murphy on his Facebook page. “Hello my dearest friends," Vergara wrote. "It is with a heavy heart that I share with you that our dear friend and business partner, Doug Murphy, has passed away on Friday. During this time we would ask that any questions be held back from the staff while we put our best face forward.”
“We will keep everyone posted as to when any services will be held," Vergara continued. "Come by, have a shot of Jager and a Bud Light to Doug. We miss him dearly.”
For information on his funeral service, please visit the Blackbird’s Facebook page.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media