BY Julie Bolcer
September 18 2009 9:50 AM ET
A new Research 2000/Daily Kos poll in Maine suggests that
the state’s marriage equality law would be repealed if the issue went to voters today.
The survey of 600 likely voters between September 14 and 16 posed two questions pertaining to marriage equality, according to Daily Kos. In each instance, a greater percentage of respondents with a firm opinion chose an anti-equality position, although a pivotal percentage remained undecided.
The first question asked whether respondents would vote yes or no on Question 1, the “people’s veto” on the November ballot that would repeal the marriage equality bill passed by legislators and signed into law by Gov. John Baldacci this spring.
According to Daily Kos, 48% of respondents said they would vote yes on the repeal, 46% would vote no, and 6% were undecided.
The second question asked, “Regardless of how you might vote, do you favor or oppose allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally?”
Among respondents, 47% said they were in favor of marriage equality, 49% opposed same-sex marriage, and 4% said they were unsure.
On a brighter note, voters age 44 and under, women, Democrats, and independents were more likely to support equality. Voters age 45 and over, men, and Republicans still need to be reached.
The poll has a margin of error of 4%.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 44 min 7 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 58 min 30 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 19 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM