Outrage Premieres on HBO
BY Julie Bolcer
October 05 2009 10:30 AM ET
The television premiere of the documentary Outrage on HBO prompts mainstream media in Florida to inquire about the gay rumors surrounding Gov. Charlie Crist.
A reporter for The Florida Times-Union broached the persistent “claims” about Governor Crist's sexual orientation, rumors that are rarely mentioned by most media in his state. The occasion was the Monday night HBO premiere of the Kirby Dick documentary about closeted gay politicians who vote against the interests of LGBT people.
“Crist's bachelor life had prompted rumors about his sexual orientation that he couldn't escape even after his December marriage to businesswoman Carole Rome,” wrote journalist David Hunt. “He has previously denied the rumors, as have many of his supporters.”
“A call to the governor's office for this story was not returned,” according to Hunt.
Crist supported Amendment 2, the 2008 voter referendum that prohibited same-sex marriage and any similar unions. He faces a tough contest against Marco Rubio, former speaker of the Florida house of representatives, for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate in 2010. Both men are competing on the mantle of conservative values.
Outrage explores the private lives and public votes of Crist, along with other politicians such as former U.S. senator Larry Craig of Idaho, and former U.S. representative Edward L. Schrock of Virginia.
Outrage premieres tonight on HBO.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 42 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM