BY Julie Bolcer
October 06 2009 12:15 PM ET
Rich Ross, the out president of Disney Channels Worldwide, has been appointed to run Walt Disney Studios. The acclaimed television executive will make the transition to movies, where he has the support of the powerful DreamWorks team of Steven Spielberg and Stacey Snider.
“Steven and I are totally supportive of Rich,” Snider, the chief executive of DreamWorks, said in a telephone interview with The New York Times. “What he has done for the channel is extraordinary. You can’t help but notice the creativity and the robust effort that has gone into making that brand ubiquitous.”
In his 13 years with the Disney Channel, Ross pioneered the “tween” programming that appeals primarily to young audiences between the ages of 9 and 14. He is the force behind young stars and programming such as Zac Efron of High School Musical, Miley Cyrus of Hannah Montana, and the Jonas Brothers.
A profile of Ross in the Los Angeles Times this June mentioned his personal life with his long-term partner, Adam Sanderson.
“The 47-year-old Ross and his partner of more than 20 years, Adam Sanderson, live in the Hollywood Hills and have no children of their own,” reported the Los Angeles Times. “However, he maintains a close relationship with the 14- and 10-year-old daughters of his former roommate and best friend from Fordham Law, who serve as an informal focus group. He described Alexis and Dominique Teixeira as ‘truth meters.’”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM