BY Neal Broverman
October 09 2009 5:30 PM ET
Daniel O'Donnell, a gay New York state assemblyman, wants online cruising to be a bit gayer.
Specifically, O'Donnell (brother of Rosie) wants .gay to be a valid domain like .com and .gov. A group called the Dot Gay Alliance has proposed the .gay
domain as a way of creating a place on the Internet exclusive to LGBT
audiences. The alliance plans to use at least 51% of its profits for
LGBT philanthropic causes. O'Donnell wrote a letter on Friday to the entity responsible for the creation of new Web domains.
"I write to convey my enthusiastic support for the application of the Dot Gay Alliance to secure, create, and operate the .gay top-level domain. I believe that the most successful new domain names will be those that have strong support from their community and that will link people, businesses, and organizations with a common affinity. I believe that the .gay [top-level domain], as conceived and proposed by the Dot Gay Alliance, represents the best interests of the LGBT community and will provide a viable structure for our community's online presence. The alliance's plan to use more than half of the proceeds from the sale of .gay domains for philanthropic purposes should be lauded."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM