BY Christopher Mangum
October 13 2009 2:00 PM ET
A Walt Disney Co. stockholder submitted a shareholder resolution
asking the organization to include the protection of ex-gays in its
sexual orientation nondiscrimination policy and diversity training
"It is about time Disney treated ex-gays with the respect they deserve," said Bobbie Strobhar, the stockholder who submitted the shareholder resolution, reports Rueters. "Former homosexuals are true models of courage who have been vilified by gay activists."
The organization Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays & Gays (PFOX) has come out in support of the resolution.
"Disney's exclusion of ex-gays from its sexual orientation policy and programs reinforces the second-class status of ex-gays, and contributes to the negative perceptions and discrimination against former homosexuals," said Regina Griggs, executive director of PFOX, in a press release announcing the resolution.
"Former homosexuals who come out publicly are commonly targeted for ridicule and hate," added Griggs. "We need more of these resolutions nationwide to assure tolerance and safety in the workplace for the ex-gay community and their supporters."
The Walt Disney Co. has not yet acted upon the resolution.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM