BY Michelle Garcia
October 14 2009 6:45 PM ET
Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese appeared on satellite
radio host Michelangelo Signorile's show on Wednesday to address
accusations that he's elitist and fails to represent all LGBT people.
Signorile took Solmonese to task for his laudatory attitude toward President Barack Obama, who gave a long-awaited speech to attendees of the HRC annual fund-raiser on the eve of the National March for Equality in Washington, D.C. While Obama did repeat that he is in favor of repealing the military's ban on openly gay service members, "nothing new" was said, Signorile pointed out.
"Obama reiterated that he's working with military leadership and Congress, that he's working to overturn 'don't ask, don't tell,'" Solmonese said. "No matter what bill goes we want to make law, it still has to go through the same process."
He added that he had worked alongside members of Congress like Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid who insisted that in order for hate-crimes legislation to pass by October, it had to be attached to the Department of Defense spending bill. Other pieces of legislation, which must be passed legislatively, would have to use the same strategy to pass, he said.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 39 min 46 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 39 min 57 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 45 min 38 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 27 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 51 min ago