BY Julie Bolcer
October 22 2009 8:40 AM ET
MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow has distinguished herself from other women in the cable news business, saying that her masculine looks and nondescript style of dress are a departure from the industry’s “beauty pageant.”
"The women in American cable news look like a beauty pageant," said Maddow at the New Yorker Festival on Sunday, according to Gatecrasher. "I'm not very pretty. I sorta look like a dude, and I have short hair, and I wear boring gray jackets, and I have a big nose. No one's gonna confuse me with a Fox News anchor. No one's gonna call me the anything-Honey."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House