BY Julie Bolcer
October 22 2009 8:40 AM ET
MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow has distinguished herself from other women in the cable news business, saying that her masculine looks and nondescript style of dress are a departure from the industry’s “beauty pageant.”
"The women in American cable news look like a beauty pageant," said Maddow at the New Yorker Festival on Sunday, according to Gatecrasher. "I'm not very pretty. I sorta look like a dude, and I have short hair, and I wear boring gray jackets, and I have a big nose. No one's gonna confuse me with a Fox News anchor. No one's gonna call me the anything-Honey."
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- S.C. Congressional Candidate: Beware of Gay 'Gremlins'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends