BY John Jameson
October 23 2009 3:00 PM ET
A gay rodeo’s "best buns contest" has elicited a complaint from a
Sacramento-area resident who lives across the street from the venue
where the event took place, according to KCRA.com. Monty Stanley of
Wilton, Calif., said the October 17 show, which was sponsored by the
Capitol Crossroads Gay Rodeo Association as a fund-raiser for Shriners
children's hospitals, was in plain view from his driveway.
“They had more than best buns,” Stanley told KCRA. “They had everything out there naked, and you can see it plain as day. What I witnessed there and what you saw on that camera is not different than pornography.”
Stanley stood in his driveway and shot video of the event, which he made available to KCRA. On the night of the rodeo event, his teenage daughter had several friends over at the house, and Stanley said they all witnessed the contest as well.
“I didn’t like it at all,” Roonie Stanley told KCRA. “It was uncomfortable for me and my friends to hear, and you could hear it from the house, and we still had a movie on.”
A spokeswoman for the Capitol Crossroads Gay Rodeo Association admitted that men were showing their buns but insisted it never went further than that. “If I would have seen anything inappropriate, I would have kicked them out myself,” Janice Gimbel, vice president of the rodeo association, told KCRA. “We tried our best to make sure there wasn’t any problem.”
Gimbel added that the group had secured both county and liquor permits and that the private event took place on private property. She said she feels her group is being unfairly targeted, possibly because of the sexual orientation of its participants.
“Oh, no, that has nothing to do with it,” Stanley said. “I don’t care if that was a man and lady dancing there naked. You can’t have it.”
Gimbel told KCRA that her group will no longer put on any "best buns" contests and that she wished Stanley had come to her directly with his complaint at the time.
Stanley maintains that the county should have scrutinized the event more closely to ensure that such activities would be hidden from public view before issuing a permit.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 14 min 50 sec ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM