BY Julie Bolcer
October 29 2009 10:10 AM ET
Ken Cuccinelli, the Republican candidate for attorney general in Virginia, recently made remarks to a newspaper in which he said, “Homosexual acts are wrong.” He declined to commit to a nondiscrimination policy enforced by former attorney general Bob McDonnell, now the Republican candidate for governor.
Cuccinelli, a state senator from Fairfax, made his comments to The Virginian-Pilot when asked about the nondiscrimination policy observed by his predecessor. The Norfolk-based newspaper reported the remarks earlier this week as it endorsed his opponent, Steve Shannon, a Democratic delegate from Fairfax, for the top law enforcement job.
“My view is that homosexual acts, not homosexuality, but homosexual acts are wrong,” said Cuccinelli, according to The Virginian-Pilot. “They’re intrinsically wrong. And I think in a natural law-based country it’s appropriate to have policies that reflect that. ... They don’t comport with natural law. I happen to think that it represents (to put it politely; I need my thesaurus to be polite) behavior that is not healthy to an individual and in aggregate is not healthy to society.”
Current polls show Cuccinelli leading Shannon in the race for attorney general.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 25 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM