BY Julie Bolcer
November 02 2009 3:00 AM ET
Opponents of the LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance on the ballot Tuesday in Kalamazoo, Mich., launched an ad singling out members of the transgender community to claim that the measure, Ordinance 1856, would allow men to use women’s restrooms.
The ad, paid for by Kalamazoo Citizens Voting No to Special Rights Discrimination, features Dr. Mary Ann Stark, who identifies herself as a women’s health advocate. She says that one of the trans women shown in the ad was found using the locker room and restroom at a women’s health club in Kalamazoo.
“Our dignity and privacy were violated,” says Stark. “1856 makes it legal for men to use women’s bathrooms. That’s discrimination.”
The trans women shown in the video were previously targeted in a flier used to attack the nondiscrimination ordinance.
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Teen From Disturbing Video Explains How It Started
- Cop Who Pushed Don Lemon in Ferguson Retires
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- How Proud Is the Proud Whopper?