BY Advocate.com Editors
November 03 2009 8:05 PM ET
With 87 percent of precincts reporting by early Wednesday morning, the campaign to overturn Maine’s gay marriage law won with 53 percent of the vote compared to 47 percent opposed to Question 1, according to unofficial results compiled by the Bangor Daily News.
The loss came despite heavy voter turn out and stronger than expected support for marriage equality in cities like Bangor and Portland.
No on 1 campaign manager Jesse Connolly issued a forward-looking concession message early Wednesday morning as Stand for Marriage Maine, the campaign supporting Question 1, declared victory.
"We're in this for the long haul," wrote Connolly. "For next week, and next month, and next year-- until all Maine families are treated equally. Because in the end, this has always been about love and family and that will always be something worth fighting for."
Polls leading up to the vote showed a very tight tug-of-war, indicating either side could win.
The passage of the measure makes Maine the second state to repeal marriage equality.
Check back to Advocate.com for more on final results throughout the day on Wednesday. For Tuesday's coverage of the vote in Maine, click here.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 37 min 12 sec ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 1 hour 7 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 2 hours 3 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 2 hours 50 min ago
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM