BY Julie Bolcer
November 13 2009 8:15 AM ET
Donnie McClurkin, the "ex-gay" gospel star who sang for the Barack Obama presidential campaign last year, returns to controversial form with remarks he made about “broken and feminine” gay youths at the Church of God in Christ convention in Memphis on Saturday.
McClurkin recently compared his own struggle to overcome being gay to a diabetic who wants sugar that’s been declared off limits. In the following video, reported by Rod McCullom at The Daily Voice, the singer preaches about the openly gay youths he sees “everywhere,” which he says is a sign that his community has “failed.” He also takes on Tonex, the gospel singer who recently came out as gay, and calls him a “perversion.”
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'