BY Julie Bolcer
November 18 2009 8:05 AM ET
In a Washington Post editorial on the demise of the Washington Blade, former editor Kevin Naff indicates that a successor publication could appear in print as early as this Friday.
When news broke Monday that parent company Window Media had declared bankruptcy and publications such as the Blade and the Southern Voice were shut down, Naff told Advocate.com that employees of the Blade would carry on, by necessity under a different name, in a new venture with print and online components.
Naff reasserts that in the Washington Post editorial on Wednesday.
"’We're united and determined to make a go of it as an independent company,’ Mr. Naff told us Monday. So, the former Blade staffers met to plot the publication's future yesterday. Mr. Naff told us that there will be a new paper. The intention is to have it hit the streets this Friday.”
The editorial also expresses concern about the Blade’s extensive archives.
“Control of its archive of papers and photographs at its offices in the National Press Club is now in the hands of a bankruptcy trustee. Every effort should be made to keep the archive accessible to researchers and historians.”
Read the editorial here.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM