BY Julie Bolcer
November 18 2009 12:45 PM ET
Stephen Colbert visited the U.S. Capitol to interview Congresswoman Jackie Speier for his "Better Know a District" segment. The congresswoman, who represents the 12th district, which includes much of San Francisco, answered questions about whether President Obama is being a "gay rights tease" and if being gay is curable through genetic engineering.
"Being gay is not a disease," responded Speier sternly. "It’s a sexual orientation. So there is nothing to fix."
Watch the video below.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Better Know a District - California's 12th - Jackie Speier|
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 51 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 3 min 49 sec ago
- Transgender WATCH: Catholic School Won't Let Trans Grad Wear Men's Garb 27 min 53 sec ago
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 1 hour 53 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 2 hours 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality Special Communion Bread Makes Debut for Minneapolis Church 2 hours 12 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM