BY Advocate.com Editors
December 10 2009 1:20 PM ET
In response to Levi Johnston telling Joy Behar on her HLN show Monday that he’s never seen any gays in Wasilla, the gays of “the Last Frontier” have written him an open letter — and invited him out for a night of drag queening.
Reads the letter: “We're here, we're queer, and we live on the Last Frontier, even in Wasilla. Perhaps you don't think you've seen us because you don't know what we look like: We look like Alaskans. Really.
“Did you expect us to shop at the Wasilla Fred Meyer looking like Adam Lambert at the AMA's? Did you expect us to kiss in line at Home Depot? We have strong survival instincts and know better than to look, act, or talk queeny in a town like this. You might not know we're gay, but I'm sure you've seen us.”
The letter goes on to say gays in Wasilla keep a low profile because of people like Sarah Palin, then invites him out for a night on the town at a club called Mad Myrna’s in Anchorage.
Read the letter here, and watch Levi’s appearance on The Joy Behar Show.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 40 min 34 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 54 min 57 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 15 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM