BY Advocate.com Editors
December 30 2009 10:50 AM ET
The birth mother of a 7-year-old Virginia girl has been ordered by a Vermont judge to hand over custody to the mother’s former lesbian partner, the Associated Press reports. But according to a court order issued December 22, the birth mother, Lisa Miller (pictured right), has disappeared with the child, Isabella.
Miller and Janet Jenkins (pictured, left) were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Two years later, Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination. The couple then broke up in 2003, when Miller moved to Virginia and joined an "ex-gay" ministry.
Custody was originally granted to Miller, with liberal visitation rights to Jenkins. But the Vermont court switched that custody to Jenkins in November after finding Miller in contempt for denying Jenkins access.
- Kim Davis vs. the Internet
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Mo. Trans Student's Bathroom Struggle Is History Repeating Itself