BY Advocate.com Editors
December 30 2009 10:50 AM ET
The birth mother of a 7-year-old Virginia girl has been ordered by a Vermont judge to hand over custody to the mother’s former lesbian partner, the Associated Press reports. But according to a court order issued December 22, the birth mother, Lisa Miller (pictured right), has disappeared with the child, Isabella.
Miller and Janet Jenkins (pictured, left) were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Two years later, Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination. The couple then broke up in 2003, when Miller moved to Virginia and joined an "ex-gay" ministry.
Custody was originally granted to Miller, with liberal visitation rights to Jenkins. But the Vermont court switched that custody to Jenkins in November after finding Miller in contempt for denying Jenkins access.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 13 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 49 min 52 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM