BY Advocate.com Editors
December 30 2009 10:50 AM ET
The birth mother of a 7-year-old Virginia girl has been ordered by a Vermont judge to hand over custody to the mother’s former lesbian partner, the Associated Press reports. But according to a court order issued December 22, the birth mother, Lisa Miller (pictured right), has disappeared with the child, Isabella.
Miller and Janet Jenkins (pictured, left) were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Two years later, Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination. The couple then broke up in 2003, when Miller moved to Virginia and joined an "ex-gay" ministry.
Custody was originally granted to Miller, with liberal visitation rights to Jenkins. But the Vermont court switched that custody to Jenkins in November after finding Miller in contempt for denying Jenkins access.
- Parenting Weekly Q&A With @GayAtHomeDad 14 min 40 sec ago
- Commentary Op-Ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 6:01 AM
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 5:53 AM
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM