BY Advocate.com Editors
December 30 2009 9:50 AM ET
The birth mother of a 7-year-old Virginia girl has been ordered by a Vermont judge to hand over custody to the mother’s former lesbian partner, the Associated Press reports. But according to a court order issued December 22, the birth mother, Lisa Miller (pictured right), has disappeared with the child, Isabella.
Miller and Janet Jenkins (pictured, left) were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Two years later, Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination. The couple then broke up in 2003, when Miller moved to Virginia and joined an "ex-gay" ministry.
Custody was originally granted to Miller, with liberal visitation rights to Jenkins. But the Vermont court switched that custody to Jenkins in November after finding Miller in contempt for denying Jenkins access.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 2 hours 53 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 2 hours 53 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM