BY Advocate.com Editors
January 13 2010 3:00 PM ET
Tokyo police have arrested three Japanese men and their transsexual Filipino wives for faking their marriage registrations.
AFP reports the Philippine nationals used the identification papers of women born in their home country to pass themselves off as having been born female so they could marry their partners.
Two of the couples were arrested this year and charged with violating the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law. A third couple was arrested last year.
According to reports, the trans women entered Japan using their own passports and were employed without a proper work visa. Police are still looking for the female broker believed to have doctored and sold the fake passports.
According to the International Lesbian and Gay Association, the Philippines does not allow people who have undergone a gender transition to change their legal documents to reflect that fact.
Click here for the full story.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?