BY Advocate.com Editors
January 16 2010 8:25 AM ET
The antigay group Focus on the Family will air a TV ad during the Super Bowl on February 7, the Denver Post reports. The 30-second spot, which features University of Florida quarterback and 2007 Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow and his mother, is supposed to be “life- and family-affirming,” a group spokesman said. In addition to his success on the football field, Tebow is known for his strong Christian beliefs and for wearing Bible verse citations inscribed on his game-day eye black.
Focus wouldn’t reveal the exact content of the ad, but spokesman Gary Schneeberger said the Tebows would be sharing one of their many positive personal stories. The Post suggests that story might be Pam Tebow’s decision to carry her son despite a life-threatening pregnancy.
Founded by James Dobson, the Colorado Springs, Colo.-based Focus on the Family is one of the most outspoken groups in opposition to equal rights for gay and lesbian people. It’s also a strong proponent of reparative therapy, which suggests that homosexuality can be “cured.”
Given that the organization has had to eliminate more than 275 jobs over the past few years because of declining donations, some may surprised that it can afford a Super Bowl spot, estimated to cost as much as $2.8 million. But Schneeberger says money for the ad isn’t coming out of the group’s general fund.
“Every cent for this ad was paid for by generous donors who specifically gave for this project because they are excited about this opportunity to show who we are and what we do.”
Read the full story here.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM