BY Advocate.com Editors
January 18 2010 5:05 PM ET
Kara King, the assistant managing editor of the University of Notre Dame’s Observer newspaper, resigned Monday after publishing an antigay cartoon in the newspaper last week, WSBT TV reports. The cartoon strip has been canceled as well.
King resigned in a letter published in the paper Monday. In the letter, she wrote, “A miscommunication between another editor and myself led to the comic running without me first reading and approving the material. Regardless, no excuse can justify the comic even being considered for publication, and the duty to censor it fell to me. I failed to do so, and am solely responsible for providing a forum for this message of hate.”
The offending antigay editorial cartoon called a baseball bat the “quickest way to turn a fruit into a vegetable.”
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- BREAKING: This Year's Michigan Womyn's Music Festival Will Be the Last
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- Arkansas At War With Itself Over LGBT Rights
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married