BY Advocate.com Editors
January 18 2010 5:05 PM ET
Kara King, the assistant managing editor of the University of Notre Dame’s Observer newspaper, resigned Monday after publishing an antigay cartoon in the newspaper last week, WSBT TV reports. The cartoon strip has been canceled as well.
King resigned in a letter published in the paper Monday. In the letter, she wrote, “A miscommunication between another editor and myself led to the comic running without me first reading and approving the material. Regardless, no excuse can justify the comic even being considered for publication, and the duty to censor it fell to me. I failed to do so, and am solely responsible for providing a forum for this message of hate.”
The offending antigay editorial cartoon called a baseball bat the “quickest way to turn a fruit into a vegetable.”
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Will PrEP Make Gay Men Stop Using Condoms?
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'