Gay Super Bowl Ad Rejected by CBS
BY Neal Broverman
January 29 2010 4:05 PM ET
The much-derided ad for a new gay dating website called ManCrunch.com was formally rejected by CBS on Friday, reports CNNMoney.com.
"After reviewing the ad, which is entirely commercial in nature, our standards and practices department decided not to accept this particular spot," CBS spokeswoman Shannon Jacobs told CNN. "We are always open to working with a client on alternative submissions."
CBS said it turned down the ad partly for financial reasons, but ManCrunch believes there's antigay animus behind the decision. "It's straight-up discrimination," said Elissa Buchter, a spokeswoman for ManCrunch, told CNN.
Jacobs wouldn't comment on the discrimination accusation, but she did counter that that CBS also could not verify ManCrunch's credit. Buchter claims they planned to pay for the $2.5 million spot in cash and that the Toronto-based website is flush with tens of millions of dollars. On Thursday, a different ManCrunch spokesperson, Dominic Friesen, declined to tell The Advocate who the owners of the company were.
CBS's decision regarding ManCrunch follows their approval of a Focus on the Family-sponsored ad that features college football player Tim Tebow and his mother advocating against abortion.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 2 hours 44 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM