BY Julie Bolcer
February 01 2010 11:00 AM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is calling on CBS to increase LGBT inclusion in its news and entertainment programming. Jarrett Barrios (pictured), president of the media watchdog, says the problem extends beyond the network’s decision to air an advocacy ad from the antigay Focus on the Family during the Super Bowl while rejecting another ad with gay content.
A blog post from GLAAD cites incidents on The Early Show, which blurred footage of Adam Lambert’s same-sex kiss in a segment about his appearance at the American Music Awards last year. GLAAD also faults The Early Show for inviting antigay commentator Ann Coulter to promote her book on the program last year.
In addition, according to GLAAD, “CBS’ fictional programming is equally as controversial when it comes to LGBT inclusion. In GLAAD’s Network Responsibility Index, an annual report that maps the quantity, quality and diversity of images of LGBT people on television, CBS received a ‘failing’ rating last year. CBS was the only broadcast network to post a significant decline, having received an Adequate rating the previous year.”
GLAAD says it will request meetings with CBS executives to discuss LGBT inclusion.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM