BY Julie Bolcer
February 09 2010 11:40 AM ET
HBO Real Sports asked Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir whether
he thought the sport's "gay" reputation hurt its popularity. His answer
jibed at men whom he said would prefer to see "spandexed men hitting each
other's ass and throwing a ball."
"Do you think the fact that some people dismiss figure skating as ‘gay’ hurts the sport?" was a question in the segment, which premieres tonight on HBO.
"I know that for the men’s population of the Unites States, figure skating is a 'gay' sport, and that’s a misconception," said Weir. "There are so many straight athletes in figure skating. I think it’s the music and the costumes that turn most men off. Because they want to see, well, they want to see spandexed men hitting each other's ass and throwing a ball. It’s very different.”
Weir was also asked about the pressure for figure skating to become more "butch."
Watch the clip below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 25 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 10 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 27 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM