BY Julie Bolcer
February 09 2010 12:40 PM ET
HBO Real Sports asked Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir whether
he thought the sport's "gay" reputation hurt its popularity. His answer
jibed at men whom he said would prefer to see "spandexed men hitting each
other's ass and throwing a ball."
"Do you think the fact that some people dismiss figure skating as ‘gay’ hurts the sport?" was a question in the segment, which premieres tonight on HBO.
"I know that for the men’s population of the Unites States, figure skating is a 'gay' sport, and that’s a misconception," said Weir. "There are so many straight athletes in figure skating. I think it’s the music and the costumes that turn most men off. Because they want to see, well, they want to see spandexed men hitting each other's ass and throwing a ball. It’s very different.”
Weir was also asked about the pressure for figure skating to become more "butch."
Watch the clip below.
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out
- Dallas Airport Attacker Unlikely to Face Hate Crime Charges
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple