BY Julie Bolcer
February 09 2010 12:40 PM ET
HBO Real Sports asked Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir whether
he thought the sport's "gay" reputation hurt its popularity. His answer
jibed at men whom he said would prefer to see "spandexed men hitting each
other's ass and throwing a ball."
"Do you think the fact that some people dismiss figure skating as ‘gay’ hurts the sport?" was a question in the segment, which premieres tonight on HBO.
"I know that for the men’s population of the Unites States, figure skating is a 'gay' sport, and that’s a misconception," said Weir. "There are so many straight athletes in figure skating. I think it’s the music and the costumes that turn most men off. Because they want to see, well, they want to see spandexed men hitting each other's ass and throwing a ball. It’s very different.”
Weir was also asked about the pressure for figure skating to become more "butch."
Watch the clip below.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Ben Carson Thinks President Can Ignore Courts on Marriage Equality
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier