BY Michelle Garcia
February 21 2010 2:45 PM ET
Kentucky's senate education committee unanimously approved a bill
Thursday that would allow teaching the Bible in public schools.
The proposal would allow schools the option to offer Bible classes as a social studies credit, according to the Associated Press.
Democratic senatot David Boswell, the chief sponsor of the bill, said the lessons would be based on literatary, artistic, cultural, and social aspects of the Bible, and therefore the classes would be constitutionally sound.
Sen. Julian Carroll told the members of the committee that passing the measure was the moral thing to do.
"We took the Bible out of our schools, but we put nothing back," Carroll said. "When we took the Bible out of the schools, we also unfortunately took out that portion of the Bible which relates to life skills, which relates to value systems. And so our students these days do not have the full opportunity, in my judgment, to be taught those life skills and value judgments that keep them out of our penitentiaries ..."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 29 min 12 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 37 min 23 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 41 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 56 min 14 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 4 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM