BY Advocate.com Editors
February 23 2010 12:35 AM ET
Johnny Weir’s critics suggest the skater’s flamboyant costumes and in-your-face attitude paint a bad image for the winter games. But Weir sat down with Access Hollywood contributor and Olympic gold medalist Dorothy Hamill to say he pays no mind to the French-Canadian sportscasters who said "we should make [Weir] pass a gender test at this point."
“Every little boy should be so lucky as to turn into me,” he told Hamill. “And that’s all I have to say about that.”
Hamill looks visibly upset when repeating the sportscaster’s comments to Weir. The Quebec Council of Gays and Lesbians filed a complaint against sportscasters Claude Mailhot and Alain Goldberg of the RDS network over the weekend for their comments.
Weir placed sixth in last week’s long form program. Had he placed fifth, he would have skated to Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face” in the post-competition gala this coming Saturday. Gaga had promised Weir she would attend.
Watch the Access Hollywood interview with Weir and Hamill here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 17 min 13 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 19 min 48 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 23 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 25 min 24 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 21 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 36 min ago