BY Kenneth Harvey
February 26 2010 7:55 PM ET
Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe is starring in a public service announcement for the Trevor Project, the organization focused on suicide prevention for LGBT youths.
Radcliffe told the Associated Press he has never understood why people are prejudiced against gays and lesbians.
"I grew up knowing a lot of gay men and it was never something that I even thought twice about — that some men were gay and some weren't," the Harry Potter hottie said. "I have always hated anybody who is not tolerant of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals. Now I am in the very fortunate position where I can actually help or do something about it."
The PSA was filmed Friday at the Trevor Project's Wall Street offices and is scheduled to air in the spring.
The star told ABC News he was shocked when he first encountered homophobia in school.
"I think it's important for somebody from a big, commercial movie series like Harry Potter and particularly because I am not gay or bisexual or transgendered," Radcliffe said. "The fact that I am straight makes not a difference, but it shows that straight people are incredibly interested and care a lot about this as well."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 9 min 50 sec ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 1 hour 15 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM