BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2010 7:45 PM ET
The 18-year-old son of Marie Osmond took his own life late Friday night, jumping from the balcony of his downtown Los Angeles apartment.
A spokesperson for the Osmond family confirmed Saturday morning that Michael Blosil had committed suicide. Osmond had previously talked publicly about her son’s battle with depression.
"My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time," Osmond said in a statement Saturday.
Blosil left a suicide note for a female friend that he had planned on seeing Friday night, according to Us Weekly. He texted the friend shortly before 9 p.m., alerting her to a note he’d left in his apartment.
Osmond made headlines last year when she opened up about her lesbian daughter. Tabloids had run stories suggesting Osmond was ashamed of her daughter, but the entertainer told a Los Angeles radio station that despite her Mormon upbringing, she is extremely supportive of and close to her daughter Jessica and that reports to the contrary were untrue.
"You know, on those types of things I'm very supportive,” she said at the time. “When it comes to marriage, I think that civil rights need to be for all.”
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM