BY Advocate.com Editors
March 05 2010 3:55 PM ET
In her blog entry titled “Marie Osmond’s Poor Gay Son Killed Himself,” comedian Roseanne Barr suggests the son of the popular entertainer committed suicide due to depression caused by the Mormon Church over being a closeted gay man.
Barr writes, “The Osmonds still talk lovingly about their church, saying nothing about its extremely anti-gay Crusade.”
She has strong words for Marie in particular, stating, “Please don't talk about how your faith in your church has helped you get through this one! Please get some integrity and tell that church of yours that you will leave it and stop giving it ten percent of your money if they don't stop trying to destroy your kids' and all gay people's civil rights and dreams and hopes.”
Since Osmond’s son Michael Blosil leapt to his death from his apartment building in downtown Los Angeles last Friday, there has been much media speculation that the young man was gay.
Blosil's friends told police that he was clean and sober at the time of his death, but he had attempted suicide at least once before. Blosil left a note explaining he intended to end his life after a lengthy battle with severe depression that left him, he said, feeling as if he had no friends and could never fit in.
Blosil’s funeral is scheduled for Monday, March 8.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM