BY Advocate.com Editors
March 05 2010 2:55 PM ET
In her blog entry titled “Marie Osmond’s Poor Gay Son Killed Himself,” comedian Roseanne Barr suggests the son of the popular entertainer committed suicide due to depression caused by the Mormon Church over being a closeted gay man.
Barr writes, “The Osmonds still talk lovingly about their church, saying nothing about its extremely anti-gay Crusade.”
She has strong words for Marie in particular, stating, “Please don't talk about how your faith in your church has helped you get through this one! Please get some integrity and tell that church of yours that you will leave it and stop giving it ten percent of your money if they don't stop trying to destroy your kids' and all gay people's civil rights and dreams and hopes.”
Since Osmond’s son Michael Blosil leapt to his death from his apartment building in downtown Los Angeles last Friday, there has been much media speculation that the young man was gay.
Blosil's friends told police that he was clean and sober at the time of his death, but he had attempted suicide at least once before. Blosil left a note explaining he intended to end his life after a lengthy battle with severe depression that left him, he said, feeling as if he had no friends and could never fit in.
Blosil’s funeral is scheduled for Monday, March 8.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM