BY Advocate.com Editors
March 05 2010 3:55 PM ET
In her blog entry titled “Marie Osmond’s Poor Gay Son Killed Himself,” comedian Roseanne Barr suggests the son of the popular entertainer committed suicide due to depression caused by the Mormon Church over being a closeted gay man.
Barr writes, “The Osmonds still talk lovingly about their church, saying nothing about its extremely anti-gay Crusade.”
She has strong words for Marie in particular, stating, “Please don't talk about how your faith in your church has helped you get through this one! Please get some integrity and tell that church of yours that you will leave it and stop giving it ten percent of your money if they don't stop trying to destroy your kids' and all gay people's civil rights and dreams and hopes.”
Since Osmond’s son Michael Blosil leapt to his death from his apartment building in downtown Los Angeles last Friday, there has been much media speculation that the young man was gay.
Blosil's friends told police that he was clean and sober at the time of his death, but he had attempted suicide at least once before. Blosil left a note explaining he intended to end his life after a lengthy battle with severe depression that left him, he said, feeling as if he had no friends and could never fit in.
Blosil’s funeral is scheduled for Monday, March 8.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 26 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM