BY Advocate.com Editors
March 06 2010 6:25 PM ET
Barbara Walters has one regret — asking singer Ricky Martin if he’s gay, she reveals in an interview with Toronto paper The Star. On Sunday the iconic interviewer will end 29 years of her famed Oscar-night specials, in which she sits down for incisive chats with popular celebrities, with interviews of nominees Sandra Bullock and Mo’Nique. With numerous interviews during her lengthy career, Walters has misgivings about only one question she asked.
"In 2000, I pushed Ricky Martin very hard to admit if he was gay or not, and the way he refused to do it made everyone decide that he was,” Walters tells The Star. “A lot of people say that destroyed his career, and when I think back on it now I feel it was an inappropriate question."
Martin, a single father of twin boys, has never commented publicly on his sexuality.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun