BY Advocate.com Editors
March 06 2010 6:25 PM ET
Barbara Walters has one regret — asking singer Ricky Martin if he’s gay, she reveals in an interview with Toronto paper The Star. On Sunday the iconic interviewer will end 29 years of her famed Oscar-night specials, in which she sits down for incisive chats with popular celebrities, with interviews of nominees Sandra Bullock and Mo’Nique. With numerous interviews during her lengthy career, Walters has misgivings about only one question she asked.
"In 2000, I pushed Ricky Martin very hard to admit if he was gay or not, and the way he refused to do it made everyone decide that he was,” Walters tells The Star. “A lot of people say that destroyed his career, and when I think back on it now I feel it was an inappropriate question."
Martin, a single father of twin boys, has never commented publicly on his sexuality.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 51 min 18 sec ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 50 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 51 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM