BY Advocate.com Editors
March 16 2010 1:50 PM ET
Fitness model and personal trainer Scott Herman first stepped into the public eye when he joined the cast of the 21st season of The Real World, set in Brooklyn, N.Y. Now Herman has taken to the Web to talk about his support for marriage equality after posing for the No H8 Campaign, a move that he says, despite rumors to the contrary, he didn’t do to boost his career.
“If I was going to do something for monetary gain, why would I pick a cause that has so much surrounding it where it could possibly put me in a position that might hurt my career? I might lose some fans because of my support for gay equality ... Why I want to take the chance on all of this when I could just go pose for Playgirl and get a four-page spread of me in there showing parts of myself that I’ve never shown before? I’m sure that would spread a lot quicker than doing a campaign such as this.
“The answer is, I have four brothers, I have two sisters. I’ve always been a role model for them, someone for them to look up to ... If I think something’s right or if I believe in something, I shoot for it one hundred percent, because at the end of the day, I have to be able to look at myself in the mirror and I have to be able to go home and look at my family and say, ‘I’m doing something that I want to do. I’m doing what I think is right.’”
Watch the video here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM