BY Kenneth Harvey
March 19 2010 1:20 PM ET
GOProud, an organization of LGBT conservatives, announced its endorsement of Hawaii Republican congressional candidate Charles Djou in a statement released today.
“Charles Djou is a limited-government, free-market conservative who supports policies that will improve the lives of all of the people of Hawaii, including gays and lesbians,” executive director Jimmy LaSalvia said. “Charles opposes Democratic efforts to expand discriminatory government-run health care, supports lowering taxes on all Americans, supports repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell, understands the importance of fighting global extremism, and opposes any effort to federalize marriage through a constitutional amendment.”
Djou faces two Democrats in the vote-by-mail special election, with voting beginning April 30 and ending May 22.
The election will fill the seat of former congressman Neil Abercrombie, who resigned to run for governor.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View