BY Kenneth Harvey
March 19 2010 2:20 PM ET
GOProud, an organization of LGBT conservatives, announced its endorsement of Hawaii Republican congressional candidate Charles Djou in a statement released today.
“Charles Djou is a limited-government, free-market conservative who supports policies that will improve the lives of all of the people of Hawaii, including gays and lesbians,” executive director Jimmy LaSalvia said. “Charles opposes Democratic efforts to expand discriminatory government-run health care, supports lowering taxes on all Americans, supports repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell, understands the importance of fighting global extremism, and opposes any effort to federalize marriage through a constitutional amendment.”
Djou faces two Democrats in the vote-by-mail special election, with voting beginning April 30 and ending May 22.
The election will fill the seat of former congressman Neil Abercrombie, who resigned to run for governor.
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 min 35 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 21 min 45 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 28 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 53 min 23 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 7 min ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 41 min ago