BY Kenneth Harvey
March 19 2010 1:20 PM ET
GOProud, an organization of LGBT conservatives, announced its endorsement of Hawaii Republican congressional candidate Charles Djou in a statement released today.
“Charles Djou is a limited-government, free-market conservative who supports policies that will improve the lives of all of the people of Hawaii, including gays and lesbians,” executive director Jimmy LaSalvia said. “Charles opposes Democratic efforts to expand discriminatory government-run health care, supports lowering taxes on all Americans, supports repeal of don’t ask, don’t tell, understands the importance of fighting global extremism, and opposes any effort to federalize marriage through a constitutional amendment.”
Djou faces two Democrats in the vote-by-mail special election, with voting beginning April 30 and ending May 22.
The election will fill the seat of former congressman Neil Abercrombie, who resigned to run for governor.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 33 min 17 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 33 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM