BY Julie Bolcer
April 01 2010 11:10 AM ET
The antigay National Organization for Marriage is turning up the heat on
former congressman Tom Campbell, a Republican who supports marriage
equality, as he seeks his party's nomination to challenge U.S. senator
Boxer, the Democratic incumbent.
According to the Associated Press, “Former congressman Tom Campbell, a supporter of gay marriage, finds himself under attack and his previous front-runner status reduced to a statistical tie with former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina in one poll. Another poll taken about the same time showed Campbell clinging to a narrow lead.
“The National Organization for Marriage is spending $300,000 on television ads that liken Campbell to Boxer on taxes and gay marriage, calling them two peas in the same liberal pod.”
While Campbell would likely mount a strong bid against Boxer in a general California election, his support for marriage equality could prove problematic with social conservatives in the Republican primary, the AP reports.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 5 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 50 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 6 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM