BY Advocate.com Editors
April 03 2010 3:20 PM ET
A senior Vatican priest has compared the investigation of sexual abuse claims against the Catholic Church to the persecution of the Jews, prompting a backlash from victims’ advocates and Jewish groups.
A spokesperson quickly distanced the Vatican from the comments by the Reverend Raniero Cantalamessa (pictured) but reiterated that the church felt under attack by media reports over how it handed charges of child molestation by priests in the past.
“They know from experience what it means to be victims of collective violence, and also because of this they are quick to recognize the recurring symptoms,” Cantalamessa said while speaking in St. Peter’s Basilica last week. Then he quoted from what he said was a letter from a Jewish friend he did not identify.
“I am following the violent and concentric attacks against the church, the pope, and all the faithful by the whole world,” he said the friend wrote. “The use of stereotypes, the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt, remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.”
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 26 min 14 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 27 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 27 min 49 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 27 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 59 min ago