BY Kenneth Harvey
April 09 2010 3:45 PM ET
Residents of a gender-neutral dorm at Southern Oregon University, found anti-gay graffiti in their hallway walls early Thursday.
The university is located in Ashland, Ore. and local police believe the graffiti was intended to intimidate residents of the dorm.
"Whoever wrote it knew people there or at least knew the names of some of the residents, because it was directed specifically by first names," Sgt. Jim Alderman, of the Ashland Police Department, said. "A lot of the students do have their names on their doors."
According to the Mail Tribune, the graffiti included derogatory statements about the resident's gender and sexuality written in blue ink on the hallway walls and doors. The statements did not include any threats.
"Because of the nature of the graffiti and where it occurred on campus, in this one dorm area, it becomes an intimidation," he said. "It makes it a more serious crime than just graffiti or criminal mischief."
Police estimated the damages at $150, Alderman said.
According to the university, this is the first academic year for the gender-neutral program and dorm includes transgender students, men and women who want to live together and people who are simply more comfortable living in a mixed-gender environment.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Two Arrested in Attack on Gay Men in NYC
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM