BY Advocate.com Editors
April 10 2010 12:20 PM ET
Former 'N Sync member Lance Bass will join celebrity chef Cat Cora and members of Green Day in sponsoring a gay-friendly prom in Mississippi after a lesbian teen was duped into attending a "fake prom" earlier this month.
The Tupelo, Miss., event, scheduled for May 8, is being organized by the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition and is open to all students, regardless of sexual orientation. The group's spokesman, Matthew Sheffield, told the Associated Press that Bass will be in attendance.
In an interview on Monday with The Advocate, Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School, said that she and her date showed up at a prom on April 2 in Fulton, Miss., attended by a small number of her peers, including two students with learning difficulties. "They had two proms, and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen said. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."
Last month, the Itawamba County School district canceled its prom after a U.S. district judge ruled that the school could not bar McMillen from attending the event with her date. As a result, a parent-sponsored, private prom was organized.
The American Humanist Association will also donate $20,000 for the inclusive prom.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM