Lance Bass Sponsors Gay Friendly Prom
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 10 2010 12:20 PM ET
Former 'N Sync member Lance Bass will join celebrity chef Cat Cora and members of Green Day in sponsoring a gay-friendly prom in Mississippi after a lesbian teen was duped into attending a "fake prom" earlier this month.
The Tupelo, Miss., event, scheduled for May 8, is being organized by the Mississippi Safe Schools Coalition and is open to all students, regardless of sexual orientation. The group's spokesman, Matthew Sheffield, told the Associated Press that Bass will be in attendance.
In an interview on Monday with The Advocate, Constance McMillen, an 18-year-old senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School, said that she and her date showed up at a prom on April 2 in Fulton, Miss., attended by a small number of her peers, including two students with learning difficulties. "They had two proms, and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen said. "The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to."
Last month, the Itawamba County School district canceled its prom after a U.S. district judge ruled that the school could not bar McMillen from attending the event with her date. As a result, a parent-sponsored, private prom was organized.
The American Humanist Association will also donate $20,000 for the inclusive prom.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 35 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 10 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 12 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM