BY Julie Bolcer
April 12 2010 8:30 AM ET
New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, who is Catholic, wrote Sunday that Pope Benedict XVI is morally compromised as a result of the child sex abuse scandal, which she said ultimately stems from the Church leadership’s low regard for women.
Dowd begins her column with a comparison between herself and Saudi Arabian women who live under the repressive codes of Islam.
“I, too, belonged to an inbred and wealthy men’s club cloistered behind walls and disdaining modernity,” writes Dowd.
Dowd says that when religious leaders lack respect for women, they can easily disregard the traditional women’s role of caring for children.
“Negating women is at the heart of the church’s hideous — and criminal — indifference to the welfare of boys and girls in its priests’ care,” she says.
“No wonder that, having closed themselves off from women and everything maternal, they treated children as collateral damage, a necessary sacrifice to save face for Mother Church.”
“The church that through the ages taught me and other children right from wrong did not know right from wrong when it came to children. Crimes were swept under the rectory rug, and molesters were protected to molest again for the ‘good of the universal church.’ And that is bad, very bad — a mortal sin.
“The church has had theological schisms. This is an emotional schism. The pope is morally compromised. Take it from a sister.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM