Duke College Republican Chairman Impeached for Being Gay?
BY Julie Bolcer
April 19 2010 10:25 AM ET
Justin Robinette, a junior at Duke University, claims that he was impeached as chairman of the College Republicans last week because he is gay.
According to The Daily Tar Heel, the student newspaper of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the official impeachment article and executive board members attribute the ouster to “conduct unbecoming of a person in a position of leadership,” including failing to attend events and using the group’s funds for personal use.
However, Robinette, while not denying what he calls “petty” charges, said they occurred before his unanimous reelection on March 16, less than one month before his abrupt impeachment last Wednesday.
“I walked into a contrived meeting at 9 P.M.,” Robinette told The Daily Tar Heel. “Sneaky amendments were passed, my comments were cut short and motions were made to move the impeachment forward.”
Cliff Satell, a former vice-chairman of the College Republicans and president of the Duke Conservative Union, said he was “appalled” at the way impeachment proceedings were handled without debate. While a few executive board members previously knew Robinette was gay, Satell believes the impeachment was prompted after many more learned about it earlier this month.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM