BY Julie Bolcer
April 23 2010 1:30 AM ET
Both modifications suggest complications inherent to the genre Luna calls “transploitation,” of which his new film is the first example.
“When I wrote the film, I wanted to take a serious subject matter but give it in a very light and entertaining way to where you don’t realize you‘re in a way being preached to until the next day after you’ve left the theater,” he said. “If the violence in the film is slightly over the top, it’s also very serious in those parts, which also fits in with that genre. I was wanting to do an old-fashioned revenge flick but with transgender women and it seemed to make sense to call it ‘transploitation.’”
Luna, who said he has transgender family members, added that he has been surprised by the extent of opposition to his film.
“I never expected this to happen with it,” he said. “All of my films have sort of that camp value. I don’t know if I could make a serious movie from beginning to end. As brilliant as a movie like Boys Don’t Cry was, I loved the film and it deserved everything it got and all of the awards, but I would never watch it a second time. Because it was just, you know, torture, torture, rape, beat up, torture, and then the movie ends. I didn’t want that. I wanted something more entertaining, I guess.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Rising Above the Down Low
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 34 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM