Calif. Lawmakers Modify Decades-Old Antigay Law
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 26 2010 7:50 PM ET
The California state assembly voted 62-0 to change a 60-year-old law that classified gays and lesbians as "sexual deviants" and called for research into a cure for homosexuality.
The law, passed in 1950, was in response to sex crimes against children, according to the Associated Press. The bill passed Monday removes all references to gays from statute language and now moves to the state senate.
"Even [in 1950], there was no legal justification to say that gay people needed to be understood and cured in the exact same way as sexual predators who rape and kill children," bill cosponsor and state assemblywoman Bonnie Lowenthal said earlier this month. "For us to leave it there would be wrong."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude New Fire Island Pavilion Channels Old Attitude 10 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 13 min 31 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 27 min 55 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 39 min 24 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 1 min ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 28 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 24 min ago