Illinois State Rep. to Discuss Engagement on House Floor
BY Julie Bolcer
April 28 2010 8:10 AM ET
Illinois state representative Deborah Mell of Chicago announced her engagement to her fiancée Christin Baker on Chicago public television Tuesday evening, and said that she would discuss the issue of same-sex marriage from a personal perspective on the state house floor Wednesday.
Mell and Baker, who have been together nearly six years, revealed details of their recent engagement to Carol Marin, host of WTTW’s Chicago Tonight.
In addition, Mell said she would use a point of personal privilege Wednesday on the state house floor in Springfield to spark conversation about marriage equality among her colleagues and the public.
“I’m going to talk about Christin, and I’m going to talk about how we have built this life together, and how just being with her has made me a better person, and I want to spend the rest of my life with her, and I want to get married in Illinois,” said Mell.
Mell and Baker plan to marry in nearby Iowa. Same-sex marriage legislation remains stalled in Illinois, where Governor Pat Quinn, a Democrat, and his Republican challenger Sen. Bill Brady opposed marriage equality. Also opposed to marriage equality is impeached former Governor Rod Blagojevich, who is Mell’s brother-in-law.
Watch the video below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM