Ariz. Law Bad for Gay Binational Couples
BY Michelle Garcia
April 29 2010 2:05 PM ET
Immigration Equality, one of the nation's top organizations lobbying
rights for LGBT families in the realm of immigration, is condemning
Arizona's controversial new law.
The legislation, signed by Gov. Jan Brewer last week, would authorize police to stop anyone suspected of being an illegal immigrant to demand proof of citizenship.
"The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community knows all too well how easily people who 'look different' can be singled out for harassment and prosecution," writes Immigration Equality executive director Rachel Tiven. "In addition, LGBT immigrant families are too familiar with the double burden of immigration discrimination. Now Arizona’s LGBT families have yet another reason to be alarmed. The state’s new law threatens to tear apart families, separate children from their parents and rip apart loving couples who are building their lives together. Forty percent of LGBT binational couples in the United States include a Latino family member. For them, and their loved ones, Arizona is now the most dangerous place in America."
Tiven also called the law "heinous" and added that the Arizona policy was illustrative of the need for "comprehensive immigration reform that protects all families."
Traveling on Air Force One on Wednesday, President Barack Obama called Arizona's immigration law a "shortcut" that would fan the flames on this major issue, rather than solve the problems involved.
"What I think is a mistake is when we start having local law enforcement officials empowered to stop people on the suspicion that they may be undocumented workers, because that carries a great amount of risk that core values that we all care about are breached," Obama said according to the Los Angeles Times.
Atty. Gen. Eric Holder has also called the law "unfortunate" and said the Department of Justice was considering challenging it.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 51 min 28 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 41 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM