Crist Announces Run as Independent
BY Kenneth Harvey
April 29 2010 6:30 PM ET
Florida governor Charlie Crist announced he is running for U.S. Senate
as an independent today at a St. Petersburg campaign event.
The rally was described as a general election kickoff for a showdown between three candidates — Crist, Republican Marco Rubio, and Democrat Kendrick Meek.
CNN reports that Republican staffers are expected to leave Crist's campaign.
"This is unprecedented in Florida, and I would say unprecedented in the country," said Justin Sayfie, editor of SayfieReview.com, an online news source for political news in Florida.
Crist was attacked for endorsing President Obama's stimulus package, a strategy that forced him to quit the GOP primary because he lost support from the party's conservative base.
"You can't compare this to Joe Lieberman in Connecticut or Jesse Ventura in Minnesota or anything like that, because now we are going to have a sitting incumbent governor running as an independent candidate against two traditional party candidates," Sayfie said. "There is no textbook example of how you win a race like that."
Crist was one of several politicians covered in director Kirby Dick's documentary Outrage, which reported on closeted politicians with ant-gay voting records. Crist has publicly opposed marriage equality and adoption by gay couples.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 40 min 35 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 57 min 55 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 20 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 27 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 23 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 52 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM