Murphy 'Blindsided' by Gates, Presses On
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 03 2010 10:35 AM ET
repealing the law legislatively but having a delayed implementation to
accommodate the Pentagon’s study and timeline. Do you support a
delayed implementation approach?
I know the president shares my
conviction that this is the wrong policy for our country and our
national security and that our heroes deserve better and I believe that
he’s committed to making this happen, as evidenced by his State of the
My bill, once we pass it whether through the
[Defense authorization] or other mechanisms, has a six-month delayed
enactment to give time to figure out implementation and the regulations,
etc. But we need to push forward and repeal it this year. Because every
single day this policy continues to hurt our national security and the
So I’m hearing you say that a delayed
implementation approach isn’t off the table for you?
you talked to anyone who has taken repeal off the table based on
If I could just mention one more
thing about the stress this puts on our soldiers. I got an e-mail from a
company commander in Afghanistan, who his partner broke up with him and
he had no one to turn to — he couldn’t go to his chaplain, he couldn’t
go to his superiors or to his battle buddies, and here the guy is
leading 200 of our best troops over in Afghanistan in a very tough
fight. And he cradled a 9mm weapon in his hand because he kept thinking
he had nowhere to turn to and he was about to blow his brains out.
that young army captain, who was doing the best he can to get by, he
should not have live life as a lie. And that’s why it’s incumbent on all
of us, the policy makers for our country, to do what’s right and to
stand by him even when there are setbacks and even when change is hard
and even when other folks may be naysayers.
It’s time to
redouble our efforts for heroes like him.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 2 hours 57 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM