WeHo City Council Approves Arizona Boycott
BY Julie Bolcer
May 04 2010 11:20 AM ET
The West Hollywood city council voted unanimously Monday night to boycott Arizona in response to the state’s harsh and controversial new law to combat illegal immigration.
According to KCAL 9, the council voted 5-0 for the boycott, which suspends official travel to Arizona and calls for the development of official sanctions, including a review of city contracts with Arizona.
Arizona governor Jan Brewer, who faces a tough reelection battle, signed the bill into law last month. Since then the law has sparked an emotional conversation about immigration reform nationwide.
On Tuesday morning, also in Southern California, the Carson city council was expected to approve a boycott of Arizona in response to the immigration law.
Watch the report from KCAL 9 here.
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Op-ed: Finding Sympathy for the Most Hated Woman in America
- Op-ed: Why LGBT and the GOP Are Better Together
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre