WeHo City Council Approves Arizona Boycott
BY Julie Bolcer
May 04 2010 11:20 AM ET
The West Hollywood city council voted unanimously Monday night to boycott Arizona in response to the state’s harsh and controversial new law to combat illegal immigration.
According to KCAL 9, the council voted 5-0 for the boycott, which suspends official travel to Arizona and calls for the development of official sanctions, including a review of city contracts with Arizona.
Arizona governor Jan Brewer, who faces a tough reelection battle, signed the bill into law last month. Since then the law has sparked an emotional conversation about immigration reform nationwide.
On Tuesday morning, also in Southern California, the Carson city council was expected to approve a boycott of Arizona in response to the immigration law.
Watch the report from KCAL 9 here.
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- Texas Antigay Group Raising Money to Fight LGBT 'Army'