WeHo City Council Approves Arizona Boycott
BY Julie Bolcer
May 04 2010 11:20 AM ET
The West Hollywood city council voted unanimously Monday night to boycott Arizona in response to the state’s harsh and controversial new law to combat illegal immigration.
According to KCAL 9, the council voted 5-0 for the boycott, which suspends official travel to Arizona and calls for the development of official sanctions, including a review of city contracts with Arizona.
Arizona governor Jan Brewer, who faces a tough reelection battle, signed the bill into law last month. Since then the law has sparked an emotional conversation about immigration reform nationwide.
On Tuesday morning, also in Southern California, the Carson city council was expected to approve a boycott of Arizona in response to the immigration law.
Watch the report from KCAL 9 here.
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.