Gibbs Noncommittal On DADT Repeal Timeline
BY Kerry Eleveld
May 05 2010 2:25 PM ET
White House press secretary Robert Gibbs Wednesday remained noncommittal about when President Barack Obama wants Congress to take any type of legislative action on “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal.
After saying he would have to “get guidance” on whether the president had ruled out inclusion of repeal in this year's Department of Defense authorization bill, Gibbs added he would have to “get an update” on if the president would consider a delayed implementation strategy.
Specifically, The Advocate asked, “Is the president potentially open to a scenario where Congress votes on repeal this year but delays implementation of repeal until the Defense Department study comes out — in other words, deferring to the Department of Defense timeline on implementation of repeal?”
Gibbs responded, “I have not heard that, but I will get an update on whether that's something that we have heard from the Hill or others around town.”
Gibbs also said he did not know if President Obama had spoken to Defense secretary Robert Gates since last Friday, when a letter emerged from the secretary urging House Armed Services Committee chair Ike Skelton not to vote on repeal before the Pentagon completes its study in December.
The Washington Blade began the exchange by asking if the president was “ruling out” inclusion of repeal in the Defense authorization bill.
“Let me get some guidance on that,” Gibbs said. “I don't know the answer to that.”
The full transcript will be available soon.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM