Lutheran Pastor and Partner Reinstated
BY Julie Bolcer
May 05 2010 8:50 AM ET
St. John’s Lutheran church in Atlanta has reinstated its pastor, Bradley Schmeling, who was removed in 2007 after telling the congregation he was gay. The reinstatement results from a recent move by the Evangelical Church in America to abolish its antigay policies.
According to WXIA-TV in Atlanta, although the ELCA removed Schemling, his supportive congregation at the Midtown Atlanta church voted to keep him as a pastor without portfolio for three years. The ELCA also removed his partner Darin Easler, who is a Lutheran pastor.
Now, thanks to the vote by the ELCA to abolish its antigay policies, both Schmeling and Easler have been reinstated.
Watch the video below.
- Artist Spotlight: Boots Bryant
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Country Singer Billy Gilman Comes Out as Gay
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- Photogs Shut Down Wedding Business After Turning Away Gay Couple