Matthew Mitcham, Swimwear Spokesman
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2010 2:40 PM ET
There was a time when people the prospects of a major endorsement deal for Olympic gold medalist Matthew Mitcham looked dim because he is an out gay athlete.
But the diving champion, who last year secured the financial support of Australian telecommunications provider Telstra, is now the brand ambassador for swimwear line Funky Trunks.
“Coming out may not have been very wise of him,” fellow diver Alex Croak, a longtime friend who trains with Mitcham, told The Advocate for Mitcham’s cover story in 2009. “I’m not an expert in marketing and don’t know what companies look for, but perhaps it [hurt him] as it is a risk for companies to take.”
Mitcham added another gold medal to his collection last week at the Canada Cup. He will participate in the World Cup in June.
He posted some highlights from his photo shoot for Funky Trunks on his Facebook page. Check some of them out on the following page.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'