George Rekers Is Gay, Says Escort
BY Neal Broverman
May 06 2010 12:30 PM ET
Antigay activist George Rekers is indeed gay, according to the male escort he hired for a 10-day trip across Europe.
The escort spoke to the Miami New Times at length Wednesday night, detailing his sexual exploits with Rekers, who had previously claimed the young man accompanied him to Europe to help haul his luggage. He told the New Times he provided Rekers with daily body rubs in the nude.
"It's a situation where he's going against homosexuality when he is a
homosexual," he told the New Times. "In all honestly [sic], he should disassociate himself from these [antigay]
The escort, who up until now has been identified in the press as "Lucien," identifies himself as Jo-vanni Roman on his Facebook and MySpace profiles.
When contacted yesterday by The Advocate, Roman was hesitant to
speak about Rekers but according to the New Times, a friend who
filled him in on Rekers antigay record convinced him to speak out.
Rekers is a board member for the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality and a cofounder of the antigay Family Research Council, though the latter organization has attempted to distance itself from Rekers since this story broke.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Every GOP 2016 Hopeful Backs Mike Pence
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination