Malawi Men Defiant Before Court Date
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2010 8:10 PM ET
One of the two men currently imprisoned in Malawi for engaging in a same-sex marriage has vowed to become a martyr rather than give in to homophobia, according to a report in the U.K. newspaper The Guardian.
Gay rights activist Peter Tatchell, who has maintained contact with the Malawi men, Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza, since they were first arrested in December, told The Guardian that he’s received a defiant message from Chimbalanga: “I love Steven so much. If people of the world cannot give me the chance and freedom to continue living with him as my lover, then I am better off to die here in prison. Freedom without him is useless and meaningless.”
Tatchell also quoted Monjeza, who he said is thin and weak with jaundiced eyes: “We have come a long way and even if our family relatives are not happy, I will never stop loving Tiwonge.”
The two men, who face three charges of unnatural practices between males and gross indecency, are due in court on Tuesday, when a judge is expected to announce his verdict in their case.
Read the full Guardian story here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 12 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM